Saturday, August 27, 2016

Rant



I am really tired of people telling me I NEED to be on Instagram. Or Snapchat. Or whatever app or device might come next to turn some 20-something into a billionaire.

The tools you see above are my standbys. It's not as though I systematically resist all technology. When people around me suggest something I usually try it, and, if it suits me, I adopt it. I was introduced to Twitter a year or so ago, and I loved it. It gives me all the visual feast I crave and exposes me to things I've never seen. When someone tells me on Twitter that they just posted something on Instagram it annoys me. I'd like to see their photo, but I don't want to take the time to hit the link and then return to Twitter. So, I usually ignore those posts,

And I don't want to "do" Instagram because I don't want to get a smartphone and be part of that commercial ratrace or to pretend to be listening to the live person next to me while texting something that doesn't really need to be said to someone I don't really know all that well. I refuse to buy into the obsoletism to which the marketing community has seemed to have made us addicted. People waiting in line for the next series of I-Phone and all that.....


6 comments:

  1. There's this thing called IFTTT that I use to publish my own content on multiple platforms. I set up to feed once and then never again have to mess with it.

    If people are suggesting you post your material on multiple platforms, it might be something worth looking into.

    That said, I understand wholly where you're coming from. I have a smartphone, and sometimes I think it's the worst purchase I ever made. (Admittedly, it does allow me to keep in better touch with all my non-local friends, better than a "dumb" phone would; and also allows me access to tools I wouldn't have access to otherwise.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you're just a typical older person who resists new technology. Can't you see that about yourself? Don't you remember how you saw old people when you were young? They were exactly the same. And I know you think that YOURE the one that's different. But no. Smartphones may be part of a consumerist marketing society but that doesn't automatically make them worthless. Clearly they're capable of amazing things, and not using one only hurts you, and nobody else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow you're just a typical older person who resists new technology. Can't you see that about yourself? Don't you remember how you saw old people when you were young? They were exactly the same. And I know you think that YOURE the one that's different. But no. Smartphones may be part of a consumerist marketing society but that doesn't automatically make them worthless. Clearly they're capable of amazing things, and not using one only hurts you, and nobody else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right (mostly) Adam. I don't resist all new technology, but I do resist always trying to have the latest devices or apps. When something comes along that will actually improve the quality of my life I'll adopt it.

      Delete
  4. I getcha. I'm studying to be a computer programmer, and I get how technology can "suck someone in" or cause people to waste their money. The latest tech just isn't for everyone (not yet ;) )

    ReplyDelete