Thursday, September 1, 2011

Back in the saddle

I got back to my studio in Cold Spring, New York a couple of hours ago from our old farm in Northern Michigan. On the way back I resolved to try to give you more insight into The Map via this blog. I'll try to do a post every day and explain the steps as I go. I will also try to put a new panel on eBay each morning.

So.......I drew the next card- the four of clubs with an instruction to either make a new sheet of reduced (1/16) images or, if I didn't have the scans I needed to do that then to do more scans from where I left off last time. I haven't checked yet to see which will happen.

Then I counted down four sheets in the current stack I am working on (N1 and N2). That took me to the sheet above, N1/W24. I made two copies. The original  (a generation II) will be archived, one copy will become the new generation III, and the other copy will be offered on eBay soon. The colors came out way off from the original, but part of the random function of my rules dictates that the miscolored print must be used as is. Tomorrow I will try to resolve the printing issue.

I am working now on adding collage to N1/W24 and adjoining panels. I work in a clockwise manor along the periphery of what had been painted in generation I. Had the card been a red suit I would have worked counter clockwise.

Any questions?





5 comments:

  1. So I take it part of the goal of this system, aside from the obvious goal of keeping the map organic, is to make sure you're archiving everything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jerry, I just saw the video of you on Vimeo (like so many others), and I want to say that your truly are an inspiration.

    I thought you may want to see the comments on the link to your video. I'm not the only one who thinks you are amazing:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/jv5h5/what_did_people_do_before_minecraft_jerry/?sort=top

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, econniff, everything is scanned periodically, and the physical panels are stored or sold (rarely....).

    And thanks, posts. Yes, I read that long reddit thread and was amazed. I created games when I was a kid in the 1950s and then forced my younger brother to play them with me. I was always pissed when he won.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to know more about the void!
    and the status of Ukrania

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Fredo! There are cards that instruct me to create a new void on the panel that the card leads me to. First generation void is just white overlay. In the second generation of Void there is black and white print. Void can wipe out cities unless it is stopped by protective walls. Ukrainia, so far, has been spared. It has a few walls in place. Today I was working on panel N1/W4, and that panel now has a huge Void, mostly contained, on it. I will probably offer a copy soon on eBay. So watch for it.

    ReplyDelete